Monday, December 21, 2009

Current Events


Chief Breadwinner has found some time between mybookfacetweet sessions to keep you posted on the kiddos, so let's talk about me. Much has happened since we last spoke via the interweb. I turned 35, the Vikings lost 2 of 3 games in very poor fashion, I shaved, my addiction to sweat pants has increased exponentially, and my hope has been somewhat renewed in SNL. What else can a guy ask for really?
First up, the birthday. Chief Breadwinner got me out of the apron and took me to dinner while G&G J watched the offspring. Very nice. But more pleasantly surprising was the urging of Chief Breadwinner to go out with "the boys" the night before. What a turnaround from the days of yore when such an event would require more than a little negotiation. I must be doing a great job of looking worn out at days' end. Otherwise Chief Breadwinner has nightmares of me pulling a Jack Nicholson in The Shining or something. Either way, night out on the town - excellent. Unfortunately, at this advanced age, that means little more than meeting at a bar to watch the aforementioned Vikings get embarrassed by AZ. Ugh. Still a thoroughly enjoyable time though. Thanks boys.
Since we are on the subject of the Vikings, what is up? Way to jinx the team and buy a plane ticket to Miami Officer Glucose. By the way, both losses were games that I watched with Swede Larsen. As much as I enjoy the company, this game watching marriage may be over before it hardly began. I'll have to go back to watching the games in high speed TiVo after the kids go to bed.
Thirdly, I am now clean shaven again (or at least I was for a day.....). After fighting through the scratchiness period, I was really feeling the Grizzly Adams. However, it was not a big hit with Chief Breadwinner and Little A. Plus, the gray was really showing up. Fine with me, but to paraphrase/amend a classic movie line, "graying, balding, and overweight is no way to go through life son". Shaving off the facial hair did remind me of a product placement opportunity for Milk & O's though. Every Man Jack face lotion. A must have for every post-shave recovery period. Check it out at EveryManJack.com, and get some to stuff those stockings for that special someone in your life.
By no means does this concern for personal appearance limit my new found love of sweatpants however. As mentioned above, they are my new love. Sure, I've worn them occasionally throughout my life. But now, I've taken it to the next level. My only regret is that I have a limited supply of said fashion staples. Are you listening Santa? Get off your arse and get those elves sewing. Drawstring waist, no elastic around the ankles. Soft and loose. That is the way stay-at-home dads roll.
Lastly, did anyone watch SNL on 12/12 with Taylor Lautner (I think that is the correct spelling, right teen vampire fans)? Anyway, not the greatest effort, but if you made it to the last skit, you were treated to a classic. Doorbells & More. Check it out on the GoogleTube. I was rolling. Combine that gem with some newer staples like "What Up With That", "JJ Casuals and/or The Mellow Show", and anything that includes Andy Samburg's face, and I am back to being a die hard SNL nerd. Now if only I could revert back to 1990-1993 and watch every SNL with the HLOL group in Stenzel's basement after a raucous ping pong tournament. Then I'd truly be living the good life.
That's all for now. Stay cool Milk & O's followers. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Jodi Stilp said...

love your posts Mike. Did you see the SNL Christmas favorites show last week? Curt and I about fell off the couch when they played the NPR Schweddy Balls skit. It might be my new favorite.