Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Birthdays

I had a really nice birthday this year. After our traditional birthday family breakfast of cinnamon rolls (from a can) and opening presents, I had a fun day at work. I mentioned reading my Kindle in a previous post, and this was my gift from Mike and the kids. I also bought myself a "work birthday present" that I had coveted for a very long time- shiny, black patent Dansk surgical clogs, style: Petrol! They look like an oil spill. I looked down at my feet all day and smiled. I didn't want to put on shoe covers and cover their beauty, but common sense took over, as they wouldn't be as beautiful splattered with blood. After work, Mike had a neighborhood girl come over to babysit, and we met Mark and Danielle at Mozza Mia for dinner. It was supposed to be a crazy night, where Mark would drive us all around in the minivan so we could get whipped into an intoxicated frenzy, but we ended up meeting them at the restaurant, as it snowed quite a bit on my birthday. Danielle had a long, stressful, traffic-filled drive to her sisters to drop off the boys, and we had to get a Morgan/Coke for her straight away to ease the tension of the night. The craziness will have to be postponed, maybe for Danielle's birthday in April, since we all sputtered out pretty early (led by Danielle, but eagerly embraced by me), and called it a night after dinner.

Next up, B's birthday. We already have his party booked at a nearby nature center. We are going to have a critter hunt. I think he will really enjoy it. We are doing the 'green party' where they provide all of the plates, cups, etc. instead of buying disposable party ware. I'm excited to hear who he would like to invite to his party. I can't believe our little boy is turning 5! Weaning him from thumb sucking has been quite the battle, and I can't say we're anywhere near cessation, but I do think he's cut down some. And he's been dry at night for a very long time. He still doesn't like to do fine motor things like snap his jeans, or pull on his socks, or take off his shirt, but part of that is his personality, I think, as he likes the attention and closeness when we are helping him with these things. I can't imagine what the next school year in Kindergarten will bring...

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Bennett, ya gotta love him! He makes me smile :)

Dori said...

I realize thumb sucking may not be the best thing in the dental scheme of things, but really, aren't there times in your life when you just wish you COULD have something as comforting as being able to suck your thumb??? B's the best!

Jerri said...

hey there, friends: long time/no talk. we were just out in oregon visiting todd and jocelyn and i was reminded that i really wanted to ask you who did your basement in kingfield when you lived in minneapolis? i just loved it and we're looking for someone to re-do ours. we live in kingfield now. didn't know if you knew that...

thanks!
email is connected to my blog, so we can hopefully connect that way. :)